25 Apr 25 Tips for Making Simple Real Food Changes
Things have been a little quiet around here but I’m back!!… Even more informed and ready to share all my new found knowledge with you! What an amazing ‘health’ journey I have been on recently. I’ve finished my studies and am now an Expert in Culinary Nutrition! This is something I have been interested in since before creating ‘Zestio’ and our innovative reusable food squeezie pouch.
I have learnt about food choices best for fueling our body for optimum health along with recipe creating and menu planning. But most of all, I have learnt, how what we eat can positively transform our health and that of the people around us. So now I would like to share this knowledge with you! To get you started on your own (and your family) health journey, I have a list of tips to get you started in making that real food change for the better! Let’s get eating healthy and living long happy lives!!
25 tips for making simple real food changes with your family
- Take your time; this change won’t happen overnight. Change one thing at a time as you learn more, see benefits and get more interested.
- Real food is not a diet – it is a life style change.
- Cut out ‘junk food’ then start to incorporate more real food. Remember your family can’t eat it if you don’t buy it!
- Start following and reading blogs, newsletters and social media pages who advocate for real food.
- Shop locally, visit your local farmers markets
- Use up the foods in your pantry, then replace with real foods.
- Read the list of ingredients on the back of food packages. Don’t buy if you don’t know the ingredients or can’t cook with them in your own kitchen.
- Stop buying foods in boxes covered in marketing jargon.
- Ditch refined sweeteners and choose unrefined sweeteners in strict moderation. Try honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar, brown rice syrup but use these in smaller quantities each time you prepare a dish.
- Begin to lower your sweetener intake, remove from coffee or tea and daily meals and snacks.
- Stop drinking soft drinks, bottled juices and other sweetened drinks and replace with water.
- Buy organic wherever possible.
- Limit buying ‘Take away’ and cook your own meals.
- Source resources, cookbooks, meal plans to assist you in your change.
- Enjoy leftovers as another meal or re-purpose it in another dish.
- Eat more plant based foods. Vegetables are so good for your health.
- Try meat free meals, soups are great for this.
- Develop a repertoire of good, easy, healthy recipes your family enjoys and work on growing this.
- Try new foods – who knows, you may love them!
- Swap refined grains, bread, pasta, crackers, rice with 100% whole grains, brown rice, rice paper wraps, homemade seed breads and crackers.
- Eat fat! But the good fats like avocado, coconut oil, olive oil, butter and nuts and seeds
- Young children rely on their parents to feed them, so offer them the right real food choices.
- Have healthy real food snacks cut and easily available for snaking – carrot and celery sticks, hummus and nuts and seeds etc
- Start growing some vegetables or herbs – you’ll have fresh produce before you know it and the children will enjoy it too.
- Embrace the changes for the better!
This real food change is something I have started with my family and while we’re not perfect it is wonderful to see the benefits these slight changes have made to our health and well-being.
Share your Journey too
Be sure to share your journey with us too. You can follow and chat to us on our social media platform. We’d also love to know if you have been using our products, how are they working to help make this change with your family?
See social media links below.
Zestio Blog: http://www.zestio.com.au/blog/
Zestio Newsletter Sign-up: http://www.zestio.com.au/subscribe/