24 Jan Brown Rice Chia Chips
While having a play in the kitchen today, the recipe I was attempting to create did not work. But as luck has it, they turned out to make pretty tasty chips! So I attempted them again…just to be sure… and my kids ate them all. So here we are with my own Brown Rice Chia Chips! They’re a healthy nutritious crispy snack which are gluten free, nut free and dairy free. They’d be perfect in a lunchbox or for a snack on the run. They make good use of any left over rice too.
Brown Rice Chia Chips
2 tbsp chia seeds
2 tbsp water
2 cups/350g cooked rice (cooled)
2 tbsp oil (coconut or olive)
2 tbsp Tamari (or soy sauce)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp sugar (we used coconut sugar)
1. Pre-heat oven 180C.
2. Soak the chia seeds in the water for approximately 10 minutes.
3. Blend or process the cooled cooked rice until broken down. (20sec, Sp9)
4. Mix or blend together all ingredients including the chia gell mix. (10sec, Sp7)
5. Divide the sticky dough into two balls and place onto baking paper.
6. Use rolling pin to roll one ball out in between two pieces of baking paper until the dough is thin.
7. Remove the top layer of baking paper and trim off the edges to fit the shape of your baking tray. Make score lines in the rolled dough. I find the back of a knife or a pizza cutter work best to score with. Here I made triangle shapes but squares and rectangles work well too.
8. Leave the dough on the baking paper and place it on a baking tray. Repeat the whole process with the second ball of dough.
9. Bake both trays for 20-25 mins or until golden and crispy. Be careful not to let them burn.
10. Remove from the oven and leave on trays to cool. Brake them into ‘chips’ along their score lines and store in an air tight jar.
- Thermomix settings are in brackets in the Method
We’d love to hear how you went creating these ‘chips’ by commenting below, on our facebook page or even instagram (@Zestio or #Zestio). Don’t forget to check our recipe blog for other recipe ideas for our Zestio Reusable Food Pouches, Zesty Pops and Lunchbox ideas.