23 Feb Vegetable Stock Concentrate – Enhance your meals
Vegetable stock is such a great addition to your meals, enhancing their flavour. I like to add it to stews, curries, soups….most savory dishes. But I have been guilty in the past… of choosing the store bought vegetable stock powders, cubes and liquids for their convenience.
Make & Store
Well now, I make my own vegetable stock concentrate! It’s an exciting addition to my fridge and freezer and stores well in our Zestio Pouches. I place one 150ml Zestio pouch full in the fridge to use and store the rest in the freezer until required. Then I can easily squeeze the desired amount into my meals as I’m cooking.
This recipe is simple to make, without any weird, costly ingredients. It’s also allergen friendly as it doesn’t contain any gluten, nut, soy or corn products which are sometimes found in store bought stocks. By making your own stock you can control the amount of salt, make it organic and without additives or preservatives.
Use Vegetable Scraps
The beauty of making your own stock means you can use vegetable “scraps” to make this, like carrot peeling and off cuts, the centre of your zucchini that was used for making raw “noodles/pasta”, broccoli stems, old floppy celery or herbs that are starting to wilt. In fact, I freeze my scraps to accumulate enough to use in the vegetable stock concentrate and for making bone broth.
How much to use?
When using your vegetable stock concentrate, add one tablespoons for every 1 cup (250 mls) of water. It is also equivalent to 1 stock cube or 1 tsp of powder. This keeps in the fridge for up to 6 weeks in a Zestio Pouch and it also freezes well.
This recipe below can also be found in our Zest for Living recipe ebook with many other healthy wholefood family recipes.
Enjoy Krystal Xx
Vegetable Stock Concentrate
I always have a Zestio Pouch full of vegetable stock concentrate in my fridge. This homemade stock is full of goodness and gives your dishes extra flavour, replacing varieties that may contain harmful additives and preservatives. This recipe is perfect for using up your left over vegetable pieces and odd and ends too.
- 700g vegetables roughly chopped (eg: onion, zucchini, carrot, tomato, celery)
- 2 cloves garlic
- A large handful of fresh herbs (eg: basil, sage, rosemary, parsley)
- 150g rock salt
- 1 Tbsp/15g olive oil
- Finely chop vegetables, garlic and herbs and place in large pot with salt and oil.
- Cook on medium-low for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Blend until smooth and pour into Zestio Pouches to store.
- Place the vegetables, garlic and herbs in to the TM bowl and chop (10secs, sp6). You may need to assist with the spatula.
- Scrape down TM bowl, add the salt and oil and cook (20mins, 100C, sp1).
- Blend until smooth (1min, sp7)
- 1 Tbsp of stock concentrate per 1 cup water.
- 1 Tbsp of stock concentrate = 1 stock cube
- Great way to use up your left over vegetable scraps and odds and ends (celery tops, broccoli stalks, cabbage leaves).
- Place one Zestio pouch full in the fridge to use and store the rest in the freezer until required. Easily squeeze the desired amount into your meals.